The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) began in WA on 1 July 2014.

It heralded a new way of providing funding and support to people with disability, their families and carers.

Identitywa has registered to provide supports to people participating in the NDIS. We are registered to provide a range of living and community supports for children and adults, as well as being registered to manage people’s funding.

Our ‘frequently asked questions’ below will give you a good overview of how the NDIS works and who it currently affects.

What makes the NDIS different?

  • It’s more individualised: Funding is tailored to the supports a person needs to achieve their life goals;
  • It provides more choice and control: People have the ability to choose the supports they need, as well as how, when, where and who provides that support; and
  • It’s designed to be fairer: It entitles all people with significant and permanent disability to the funding and support they need throughout their lifetime.

Will it affect me?

The NDIS delivered by National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) in the Perth Hills region has expanded to include the local government areas of Bayswater, Bassendean, Chittering, Toodyay, York and Northam.

WA’s version of the NDIS delivered by the Disability Services Commission, WA NDIS, has already expanded to the local government areas Armadale, Murray and Serpentine-Jarrahdale and will commence roll out to residents of suburbs within the City of Rockingham and City of Mandurah from 1 July 2017.

The WA Government will make a decision soon about how the NDIS will be administered in the future in WA.

What if I live outside an NDIS trial site?

If you live outside the NDIS trial site and need support, you can contact Identitywa directly.  Call 9474 3303 or email reception@identitywa.com.au

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible to take part in the NDIS if you:

  • Have a permanent disability that requires you to be supported to join in or do things; or
  • Your child has a disability that is likely to be permanent and there’s evidence that early support will reduce the amount of support they will need in the future.

You also need to be:

  • Under 65 years of age.
  • An Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen with a Protected Special Category Visa; and
  • Live in a trial site.

You can assess your eligibility at:

Disabilities covered by the NDIS include intellectual, cognitive, neurological, sensory, physical and psychiatric.

Do I have to join the NDIS?

If you are eligible for the NDIS, you must participate in the NDIS when your suburb rolls in to the scheme if you wish to continue to receive disability related supports.

How does it work?

Depending upon where you live, staff from the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) or from the Disability Services Commission will contact you to arrange a meeting with a Coordinator.

The first step is to work out whether you are eligible to join the NDIS. If eligible, you will develop an individual plan which identifies your short-term and future goals. The next step involves exploring and choosing the types of supports you need which are reasonable and necessary to achieve these goals.

Family members and other people who are important to you can be involved in this planning.

Once the plan is complete, it needs to be approved and have funds allocated to it. The plan can then be put into action.

How much funding will I get?

The amount of funding each person receives will depend on their needs and the types of supports they have in their individual plan. Some supports cost more than others.

Funding needs to be used for these supports. It can’t be used for everyday living costs that people normally incur like rent and food.

Who will look after my funding?

You have three options:

  1. Self-Management: Where you manage your plan and funding yourself.
  2. Shared Management: Where you manage your plan and funding in partnership with a service provider like Identitywa. We can talk to you about how this would work.
  3. Service Provider Management: Where a service provider like Identitywa or the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) manages your plan and funding.

If the NDIA manages your plan and funding, you choose your support from NDIS-registered providers. If you manage your plan and funding yourself, you can choose supports from both registered and non-registered providers.

Where can I learn more?

There’s lots of fact sheets and news at www.ndis.gov.au and www.dsc.wa.gov.au.

or go to WA NDIS Facebook page – www.facebook.com/TheWANDIS