Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Royal Commission - Identitywa - Registered NDIS Provider

Royal Commission

The Royal Commission has suspended upcoming public hearings and community forums due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus.  Click here.

Submissions for the Disability Royal Commission are now open. You can find out about making a submission on the Disability Royal Commission website

To access the Royal Commission’s Connect newsletter, click here.


Identitywa’s response to the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability

From the CEO

As one of WA’s largest disability support agencies, providing a safe and respectful environment is at the heart of all that we do.   We welcome the Federal Government’s announcement of a three-year Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.

Important links:

We will continue to update our community on the Royal Commission through our communications channels.  Please know, we are always keen to have feedback on our services and therefore encourage you to contact us should you have any personal concerns by calling me on 9474 3303 or contacting our Complaints Officer via email –

Kind regards

Marina Re, Chief Executive Officer

Supports available from the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability

Counselling support

Free counselling support from Blue Knot Foundation is now available for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission.

Call the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 or 02 6146 1468 to find:

  • support for your emotional wellbeing
  • support for making choices about telling your story
  • information on other practical supports available to you.
  • Open 9am to 6pm weekdays or 9am to 5pm weekends AEDT.

Advocacy support

Commonwealth-funded advocacy support services are available under the National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP).  NDAP advocates will be able to:

  • protect your rights
  • help you say what you want to say
  • provide advice in your best interest
  • act on your behalf to get the supports you need.

Information about the program can be found at National Disability Advocacy Program, along with a Disability Advocacy Finder tool to help you locate a service provider near you.  You can also call 1800 517 199 or  email  to access  assistance to find your nearest advocacy service.

These services are new, and are still building their knowledge and capacity to help. They aim to be trauma-informed and are sensitive to people’s needs however, it will take time to develop their capacity.

We recognise that even with these supports, accessibility will be more challenging for some people.  The Commission will consider requests by individuals for support on a case by case basis, and seek expert advice as required.

Legal and financial support

A free legal advisory service from National Legal Aid and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services can help you to:

  • understand your legal rights and options for engaging with the Disability Royal Commission
  • assist you to prepare for submissions or private sessions
  • find out about financial assistance that may be available to you.

You can contact National Legal Aid directly on 1800 771 800 (9.15 am-5.15 pm AEDT, Monday to Friday) to register your interest.

The Attorney-General’s Department can help you:

  • find out about financial assistance that is available if you have your own lawyer
  • explain how to apply

You can contact the Financial Assistance Section directly on 1800 117 995 (9am – 5pm) AEDT, Monday to Friday. If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can also call the National Relay Service and give 02 6141 4770 as the number you would like to call.

The Royal Commission currently has an electronic mailing list where you will be provided with up to date information about our work. If you are interested in receiving up to date information please register via our webpage.